Monday, February 7, 2011

Dirtiness

The gym has several etiquette that one should learn. These aren't written rules but rather things one should be aware of while working out at the gym.

Probably the most important one is that after using an equipment (treadmill, elliptical, etc.) one should wipe it with the spray lotion that is provided by the gym--my guess is that the lotion has some sort of antibacterial agent.

I try to make it a chore to wipe anything I use even if sweat didn't drip; of course, I would lie if I said I never forget. If you do forget, some people actually do notice. It's worse when that person whispers your "dirtiness" with their workout partner. Now you have two people staring at you in disgust. This happened to me a few days ago.

Speaking of staring, I try not to do that; especially when it comes to going into the men's locker room.  Since I workout after work, I do have to change at the gym.  My wife has suggested changing in the men's stall, but I told her I didn't want to be "one of those guys."

When the gym is busy, there is little room to maneuver.  As I change, I avoid eye contact.  On occasion, I do find myself rubbing elbows with the guys around me.  Sometimes that person is in his tighty whites--or so I tell myself.  Again, I avoid, eye contact.

Of course, there are times when avoiding eye contact is impossible; especially, when running into a man wearing only flip-flops at the turn corner.  Perhaps when encountering a similar predicament, direct eye contact is suggested.  Don't look down.

No comments:

Post a Comment