Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm a wimp


For the past few months, I have been going to the gym at least twice a week. 

My routine goes something like this: 12 minutes on the elliptical; 12 minutes on the power cycle; 10 minutes on the strider; and sets of twenties on the upper body circuits.

Okay, for those of you who aren't familiar with working out, you're probably thinking I am really doing great and must be slim, trim, and well chiseled.  Wrong.

I'll be honest, I'm a wimp.  I don't have upper body strength.  I never have.  My great legs compensated for my weak arms.  I've recently noticed, however, the need to build strength on my arms after struggling to pick my six-year-old son who weighs 50 pounds.

Therefore, I've made it a point to dedicate a few minutes on the circuits to begin building my upper body muscles; although, doing so has been a humbling experience working out amongst guys and girls who can lift more.

I try to avoid eye contact with people around me and listen to the TV stations on my Insignia HD Radio as I take my turn on the circuits.

Setting the weight dial at the lowest possible level, I tell myself that no one is watching or cares what I am lifting. Of course, passerbys do notice and if you forget to reset the dial, the next person will definitely notice.

From afar, one may assume I'm lifting a heavy load with my strained facial expressions.  At closer observation, they'd notice I'm only lifting 10 or 15 pounds.  Pitiful.  I know.

What's worse is after leaving a circuit I noticed the next person, a girl, reach over to the weights, reset the dial and added extra weights.  Yes, embarrassing.

Again, I try to avoid eye contact and remind myself that Mr. Olympian Dorian Yates resorted to lighter weights and more repetitions.  Of course, I'm not Dorian Yates.

No comments:

Post a Comment