Monday, October 3, 2011

Engage muscles during work days

So this blog entry isn't entirely about the gym but of the workplace.  My workplace to be more precise.

I work in an office building full of cubicles.  It's quite a maze--trust me.

I use to be that employee who would stay behind the desk with my eyes fixated on the computer in front of me--the perfect specimen to an authoritarian boss.

Not too long after, my back started aching, I became overweight and depression became my new best friend.  I questioned my relationship with my wife and son and at one point wondered why life in general was turning against me.

It wasn't until I got to know my office best-friend who happened to work on the other side of the building. Not before long, I was visiting my new best-friend periodically during the day.  My confidence improved.  I lost weight.  My depression diminished.

A few weeks ago, I came across an article in Redbook Magazine suggesting taking a three minute break every hour at work to walk around.  Walking around the office helps "engage your muscles and improves blood flow which helps metabolism."

I totally agree.  However, I should add that taking a break from your computer does help with your social skills, creativity, and mental health.

Source: "You're typing away at your computer," Jamie Beckman, Redbook Magazine, October 2011, page 100

No comments:

Post a Comment